Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why should I have to justify?

So it has been a while since I posted, I am sorry. Which is interesting because I have had more time on my hands than I usually do. We are back in Mowbray (our residence, we are in a suburb of Cape Town), and its been back at UCT working with Aaron on why we are here. We are trying to apply leadership to all of the experiences we have had so far. Those are the mornings, with lots of shopping (yikes) and getting last minute things/souveneirs before we leave.

A lot of us were thinking of taking up the opportunity to stay, but 1. I am out of money, 2. I need to go back to reality at some point, and 3. It ended up being much more money than I had thought because NWA is a pain.

So what have we been doing at night? Some went to Counting Crows on Tuesday, and I chose to stay in and hang out with some others and we came up with the question, why should you always have to justify your reasoning? Or why do I always feel like I have to? Is it for self-fulfillment? Do people really need to know? No not really. Are many of us being vulnerable? What do you think everyone's definition of vulnerability?

Its hard because we are all at different places here. We're in different positions of where we are in life. Katie and I were talking about how we are some of the younger one's on the trip, and sometimes we do feel actually sometimes the maturity level does make us seem younger. Or we just are at a different stage in our life.

On Monday also we had heard about Kate's (a student and sorority sister) experience when she was in Kenya. She has been studying there this whole semester. She gave some commonalities and differences between SA and Kenya. She talked about how HIV/AIDS is less prevalent in Kenya but more in South Africa. 1 in 5 is infected with HIV in the SA. Women are more at risk in Kenya and SA because more women are raped in Kenya, and many think in SA that if you sleep with a virgin you will not get HIV. I know we have our opinions of Bush, but I be happy he has given money to the continent of Africa. From what I got, it seems as if Kenya is a little less developed than SA, then why does SA have such a higher population of those infected with HIV?

I will blog about yesterday a little later on today. I am about to head to class. Then there is a brie (BBQ) this afternoon for a going away for us, then its out for TJ's birthday. And tomorrow, and pack and back home. I've been noticing I'm talking about home a lot lately, and I think its time for me to come home and processed all of what happened. But I'm still trying to stay in the moment.

No comments: