Sunday, June 8, 2008

"They live life so simple."

I woke up the second day in Guguletu warm, rested, and ready for another day. It was the first night I had slept more than 6 hours, not to mention sharing a bed with Elisa probably made things MUCH warmer. We both were sick and she had plenty of medicine here, which I should tell you that they do sell codine off the counter here. Which I find funny, and trust me, it works. I am thankful she was my homestay buddy.

Thobeka and Sonazi both were gone so Elisa and I locked up, and headed to our speakers again. Did you know that South Africa has two different lines of ARVs and the U.S. has 50? That is why they wait so long to go on ARVs because if one line doesn't work, they have only one last choice to get them to work. Its like you only have two chances. Thats it. The disability grant is 750 rand per month, which is about 100 dollars. This grant is difficult to obtain. I'd go into detail about the government because its so shocking, they just don't even care.

Then it was time to talk about leadership for a bit, and I got partnered with Laurie. Her and I were supposed to discuss controversy with civility and our definition of this was handling conflict within a group in a positive format, using it to advance a group. And of course we are comparing South Africa and Minnesota. Why is it that people choose to ignore issues before it is too late? Is it the culture? Is it considered a taboo? Is it because it isn't accepted? Just some food for thought.

We went back to Priscilla's and brought toys and fed her family by making her lunch. It felt good. But I was irritated at the same time at that moment. We had children coming in that were not hers and were taking the toys. I thought in my head, "these are supposed to be for Priscilla's children, but I can't take them away from them." So I let that thought go, and said I'm helping not just her family but the community. I felt awful for thinking what I was thinking afterwards, but I let my immediate reaction hit me. Which is good, because its funny how quick your thoughts can change. It shows that I'm growing.

Then it was Rainbow center and fractions (UGH, teaching them is hard but I succeeded, luckily I love kids), fabulous dinner again, and back to Thobeka's. I just want to say there was one child that was just sitting there not working on his homework. So I asked him if he needed help, and another boy goes to me, "He doesn't have a pen to write with." I told him, "Here take my pen, I don't need it." The next day, I still saw him with the same pen. It hit me in the heart. I was expecting him to lose that pen. It's amazing how well a 10 year old can take care of just one thing here.

I decided tonight was going to be my night to ask many questions to Thobeka. She was in a great mood, we sat and had tea (which is so much better than coffee by the way). I don't know what happened to her husband, but I do know she was married and she said that was that. By the way, it is very common for men to leave their significant others in this country. (This is my assumption by the way.) She inherited the house she lives in by a family she once worked for, she quit school to work for her sisters so she could send them to school, she supports her nieces because her sisters are now dead, and she has her Sonazi living with her. Yes, this woman has done many things for her family. But what has she done for herself? Is this her self-fulfillment? This woman is very reserved. I've decided it was the generational gap we had here. Many of the other homestay mothers were younger, and this woman is a little older than the others.

By the way, August 9th is Sonazi's birthday, along with Women's day. I do not know WHY we don't have this in the states, but its necessary, so Elisa and I will be celebrating Women's day from now on.

Another by the way, South Africa has amazing literature. I spent time in a bookstore (we know they are my weakness), and I had to force myself to go to the checkout to buy the books. Maryam has a lot of reading to do this summer.

I spent time after church today with Aaron, Jesse, Hilary, and Elisa on a hunt for something. We were halfway successful. I'm not allowed to tell you though, its part of my surprise. We ended up sitting in a pub talking about the experiences on this trip and what it will be like when we get back.

Tomorrow, back to class, Green Market Square, MonkeyBiz, and my surprise. Its so weird to be back in reality. I keep thinking about how 10 km away there's shacks in a township and the distance between that I was doing a wine tour. It is two different worlds here. Or is it two worlds everywhere and it takes one to get out of your comfort zone to do it?

No comments: