Thursday, May 29, 2008

I believe in Karma...

DISCLAIMER: I would like to apologize in advance about my blog because I tend to word vomit as I write this, because everything always makes sense in my head, but sometimes it never works on paper. So sorry ahead of time.

One is what my title deals with. We were over at the bed and breakfast house on Tuesday night and I noticed they had dish soap. The people over there were complaining about their outlets not working, and then they finally got them to function. Hilary and I had decided since we had not cleaned ANY dishes since we had arrived because we didn't have soap, that it would not be bad to take the dish soap, granted the other house has a dishwasher in it. I didn't think Laurie was going to see me, (apparently she did) and I stuck the soap under my sweatshirt and walked out of the house. So I came home to wash all the dishes than 10 people use in one day. It was late, and with humidity and my hair I have found it is easier for me to just shower at night and put it up the next day. I get into the shower... and Katie yells, "We don't have any power in our outlets!" I thought in my head, "Good God, what did someone do now...". So we have Nate come over and check the circuits, and I have found out that when you turn the power off, it turns off the hot water. So, a cold shower, in the dark, shaving your legs is not easy. I get out and get dressed, and Hilary comes to me and says "It's Karma, we need to return the dish soap!" So we go back, saying that I left my phone on the kitchen counter. I set it back, and am about to walk out the door and come back and tell Stella, "We stole your dish soap so we could wash dishes and now our power is out." I come back, and the power comes back on. It's all Karma, I tell you. It is.

Yesterday was our first day of class. We had Zwelethu Jolobe come and talk to us about South Africa's history in regards to apartheid. There was discussion about crisis legitimacy in legalizing the trade unions, to two leaders DeKlerk and Nelson Mandela, and significant leadership changes. And he brought up the question, how do we reorganize power? He was talking about negotiation and about no end, no insight, and many of us will always be unsure of what tomorrow holds. We need to restart all over, and begin a new foundation. It needs to all be about truth-telling, and creating that official memory and history.

Here's a part of UCT, looking from the Rugby field. You'll noticed the architecture here is very European, because it was at one time ruled by the British and Dutch.



One thing that really impressed me with Zwelethu and his collegue Steven is about their interest in world politics, especially the United States. I was extremely shocked about how much they knew, and it almost made me feel that I was too ignorant, and that I need to know more. Maybe its because I am already immersed in the culture, and I know what to expect? I couldn't tell you. They asked us the question regarding same-sex marriage. In South Africa, same-sex marriage is allowed. What he said was, "how are you considered a civil and free country, when you make such uncivilized decisions?" I'll just say I have no idea, that he has an extremely good point, and that a key reason of whom I am voting for.

We had a campus lunch after lecture, and I started to have a little nostalgia already. I had peanut chicken curry (Yes, Dad I know you don't like the word, "curry".) And I noticed I was talking about my family a lot and stories. And I usually do that when I miss my family. So family, I miss you, and I hope you are reading this blog.

Then we were off to District 6. This is an area in downtown Cape Town, you could basically compare it to the Harlem Renaissance. These people were forced to leave their homes because they were of color, and not white. They were sent to townships and were no longer in the city. We learned the hardships many of them faced, and the man who gave us the tour of the museum, was a person sent away to the townships himself, and was telling us his story. He gave us this phrase saying, "Even if you are of different color, that doesn't make you any different than anyone else. The only way you are ever going to be different is if you cut everyone open and see what's inside. Then tell me what you see, and if we really are different." I was really moved by what he said, I really liked it. It's completely true. This museum had artifacts from District 6, such as signs for not allowing colored people to park, or that a public area was exclusive. Makes sense huh? Not. You can tell the authors of this sign need to take some Marketing classes. This is a map of District 6, people have written in where they had lived. And we can walk on this, I felt weird walking around on this.

So we had some extra time before dinner and walked around downtown Cape Town. I did go to a market/bazaar type deal and was a little nervous to do some bargaining. Niki, a woman who was with us from Interstudy walked around with me and coached me a little. I will tell you, I bought a pashmina shawl that was offered for 80 rand, and ended up getting it for 40. And stones for Colin for 20 rand. They're pretty my friend, you'll like them. I was very proud of myself. While walking back to our driver's, we ran into a demonstration in front of the court house right over by the district six museum. I tried to be nonchalant about it and acted as if it were not a big deal, but then we were passed by a police truck with people in it, and were saying profane words and then I was bothered and worried.

So, I tried Nando's yesterday. The chicken is halal, (which I realized why is was kind of expensive), and it grade A chicken. But I had wings and it wasn't bad! I would definitely recommend trying it, if you ever find one, I know they are in London as well!

On to tomorrow, we traveling to Cape Point, the most Southwestern Point in the world. Get excited.

No comments: